Available on Business plan
We are excited to announce some upcoming changes to Stack Overflow for Teams.
To improve product experience, security, and scale, we’re separating the stackoverflow.com public site and your Stack Overflow for Teams site. This has two main benefits:
- Provides users with better visibility into whether they're working within your private Team or in the global, public community.
- Helps Stack Overflow better service, test, and improve Teams without making infrastructure changes to our public site (and vice-versa).
To do this, we’re moving Stack Overflow for Teams to its own domain at stackoverflowteams.com, separate from the public site at stackoverflow.com. Below, you’ll find more details about what to expect and what actions you need to complete.
Currently, we host Stack Overflow for Teams on the stackoverflow.com domain along with our public site. To separate the sites, we're moving Teams onto its own domain dedicated to hosting Teams. All existing stackoverflow.com/c/[team_name] links will redirect to the new domain stackoverflowteams.com/c/[team_name].
This means your URL will change from stackoverflow.com/c/[your_team] to stackoverflowteams.com/c/[your_team], and private teams will no longer appear in the left sidebar on stackoverflow.com.
Bringing clarity and security to how you find answers
In addition to accessing your team through a new URL, users will notice a refreshed look and experience on Stack Overflow for Teams. The updated interface helps visually distinguish when you're working in your private Team and when you're in the global, public Stack Overflow community.
One of the most significant changes is that users will no longer see private teams in the left sidebar on stackoverflow.com. Instead, they'll access private teams from the new stackoverflowteams.com domain.
A new "FOR TEAMS" tile in the upper-left navigation shows when users are on the stackoverflowteams.com Teams domain. Users can easily switch between their private teams using a drop-down menu located next to the search box.
Also, this release restores the Inbox button to the top of the screen for easier navigation.
Unified Search works across Teams and the public community site, giving Teams users a searchable, read-only index of the public site within their private teams search results. This means users can read answers from the public stackoverflow.com site when they search, but they can't post on stackoverflow.com from your private team. This ensures you and your team members benefit from the global community’s wealth of knowledge while eliminating accidental posts outside of your organization. Users will still be able to use their personal stackoverflow.com accounts to engage with the global community outside of your private team.
To include results from the public site in your Teams search, users can check the Include results from stackoverflow.com checkbox in the search results box.
What action is required?
We'll take care of the behind-the-scenes changes, but there are some actions you may need to take before your migration is complete:
- Update programs and processes for your new URL
- If you have a firewall, you need to allow the new Stack Overflow for Teams domain, stackoverflowteams.com.
- While we'll have redirects in place, we encourage customers to review any other programs or processes that use the existing URL and update them to your new URL. Encourage your employees to update existing bookmarks or workflows for the new domain as well.
- Update your Slack integration
- If your organization uses the Slack integration, this will require a brief update. We’ve provided a simple step-by-step guide to walk you through the process.
- Update your SSO configuration
- If you have single sign-on (SSO) enabled, you'll need to configure it for the new domain. Our support team is reaching out to all customers with SSO enabled to schedule time to complete this step. Please watch for this email and schedule your authentication updates at your earliest availability. You can update your SSO configuration before or after your migration, but you must complete this step before December 5, 2022.
We'll update all Microsoft Teams and Jira integrations automatically, and Github integrations do not require any updates.
Timeline and next steps
We'll begin migrations in November and finish by the end of the year. When we schedule your team’s migration, we'll notify you with dates and details.
All users will receive migration communications from Stack Overflow via email and in-application messages. We’ll also provide administrators with communication templates you can use to share the coming changes with your users before and after your migration is complete.